Unite for Khan
Download and read the Unite draft submission to Sadiq’s manifesto
- Business, growth and jobs – Unite Khan manifesto submission [PDF]
- Equality and fairness – Unite Khan manifesto submission [PDF]
- Housing and planning – Unite Khan manifesto submission [PDF]
- Safer and healthier communities – Unite Khan manifesto submission [PDF]
- Transport and infrastructure – Unite Khan manifesto submission [PDF]
Why London and Eastern Region of Unite came to support Sadiq
On Saturday 16 May 2015 Unite’s Regional Committee met to interview 5 candidates who had put themselves forward to be the Labour party’s candidate for the London Mayor election in May 2016.
The committee, which is made up of lay members from across all of Unite’s industrial sectors including; b us and taxi drivers, cleaners, charity workers, health and Local Government workers, printers, bank employees and members from manufacturing, spent over 4 hours listening to the views of all the candidates to four questions we posed on transport, housing, workers’ rights and equalities.
At the end of the meeting the committee held a vote and it was decided that London and Eastern Region would support Sadiq Khan as our first preference candidate (to be the Labour candidate) and Diane Abbott as our second.
All of the candidates performed well, but the meeting felt that Sadiq offered the best vision for London and Londoners, closely reflecting the values and policies of the regional committee.
Since the hustings Sadiq has come out with a number of policy initiatives that underline why we were right to give him our support including:
- A one wage structure across the London’s bus network
- A clear commitment to build more social homes for rent at affordable levels
- The creation of an economic fairness unit at City Hall to deliver a £10 per hour London living wage
- End the use of companies who have taken part in blacklisting union members
Sadiq Khan offers the best hope of Londoners including our members. If he is successful he will clearly make a difference – That’s why we are supporting Sadiq.
You can find more about Sadiq’s plan for London at www.sadiq.london